Friday, March 18, 2016

Hannah's Strawberry Pie

Summertime is near, and that means strawberries will be coming soon enough. There is nothing better than strawberry picking, then enjoying a nice chilled piece of strawberry pie to make it feel just like summer.

Photo credit: www.overtiredmommy.com
Hi! I'm Hannah and I'm the education and outreach coordinator for Marion County Farm Bureau. I grew up in southern Indiana and work with farmers across Indiana as the education and training director for the Indiana Soybean Alliance, Indiana Corn Growers Association and Indiana Corn Marketing Council.


Growing up, my mom made the best recipe for gelatin strawberry pie. You may be thinking, “ok, sure…I’ve had gelatin strawberry pie before. What could be so good about this one?!” Well, let me tell you – IT’S THE CRUST! I guarantee this crust will be the best crust for gelatin strawberry pie that you ever did taste.

I enjoyed the recipe so much, that my husband and I served it at our wedding this past year. Friends from Indy baked the pies and brought them to the reception hall prior to wedding festivities. I heard rave reviews from guests who tried it!


So, here is the recipe you have been waiting for!

Margaret’s (that’s my mom) strawberry pie recipe 
(best strawberry pie you’ll ever eat!)

Strawberry Pie Crust:

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 c. flour
  • 2 Tbs sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 c. vegetable oil
  • 2 Tbs milk

Directions:
  1. Mix all ingredients together, form into ball, and spread out into pie pan
  2. Bake for 10-15 min at 375 degrees


Pie Filling:

Ingredients:
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 2 1/2 Tbs cornstarch
  • 1 1/2 c. water
  • 1 small box strawberry gelatin
  • 4 c. strawberries (I like to cut them in 4 pieces and you can probably get by with 3 cups.)
Directions:

  1. Mix sugar and cornstarch, add water and heat on medium until mixture thickens (usually about 5 min)
  2. Remove from heat and mix in gelatin  
  3. Cool for 20 minutes, then mix in strawberries
  4. Add into pie crust and refrigerate until gelatin hardens


Photo credit: www.overtiredmommy.com


And that’s it! Get ready for some mouthwatering pie this summer.  

No comments:

Post a Comment